The Private Enterprise Programme Zambia (PEPZ) seeks to hire a Consultant to support the private sector to prepare for Local Content by undertaking a pre-feasibility analysis and producing an action plan for identified goods and services.
2. Background to the assignment
Private Enterprise Programme Zambia (PEPZ) is a five-year programme financed by UK Aid, designed to increase the size and capability of Zambian businesses. By facilitating business linkages, building technical management capacity, and sharing costs to promote innovation, PEPZ helps Zambian SMEs to become more competitive in their respective value chains.
PEPZ works across four focus sectors:
- Food and agriculture: with a focus on streamlining logistics through investment in transport and storage, and value addition through processing;
- Mining and mining services: focusing on promoting local manufacturing and value adding services for the mining sector; and
- Tourism and hospitality: with a focus on investment in Zambia as an international tourist destination and on investment in the early development of domestic tourism and leisure opportunities.
- Business Services for Investment and Growth: Increased access to business services and sources of finance that support growth-oriented businesses.
3. Objectives of the assignment:
A Foundry Technical Expert (TE) for a period of three (3) to four (4) weeks is required. The TE consultant’s objective is to guide the company on improving its quality of bronze castings, especially casting bronze pump spare parts.
With over 40 years in the Mining sector, the company is a primary supplier of quality castings, in Bronze, Brass, Aluminium, Copper, Cast Iron, Steel and Stainless Steel (a recent expansion).
The company is based in Ndola and has a skilled workforce of around 56 personnel. The foundry has a casting capacity of producing 20M/T per month of Non-Ferrous metals (Bronze, Brass, Copper & Aluminium) and 35M/T per month of Ferrous metals (Cast Iron, Steel & Stainless Steel).
These TOR’s seek to support the company on capability of Pump Spares to match best practice and industry standard.
4. Scope of Work
The consultant will:
- Hands-on knowledge sharing with our foundry manager and staff
- Undertake an As-is assessment of the technology infrastructure and manufacturing processes and techniques
- Advise on technologies that should be considered, which will make our production more efficient.
- Undergo sampling and testing in the manufacturing of bronze pump spares with the foundry personal, especially impellers.
- Assessment of capital intensity and skills base of the company’s current pump spares; and assess the potential to improve the standard of pumps on a local and international competitive perspective.
- Assess the potential, cost and feasibility to close the current gap against global best practice. What skills and financing may be required?
- Design a total quality control management system
- Describe the technical organizational and skills gaps that need to be closed to realise the potential. Propose and rank ‘gap closing measures; in a cost benefit approach.
The deliverables for this assignment will be:
- Ensure the foundry can deliver quality bronze castings
- Have a total quality control management system in place
- Assess the existing capacity and identify the gaps
- Quality control management system design
The consultant will be expected to present these deliverables according to the following timetable:
- Within 3 to 4 weeks starting the assignment on 15th October 2019.
6. Required Qualifications
- Mechanical or Production Engineer or equivalent with a minimum of 10 years’ experience
- Worked in foundries producing ferrous and non-ferrous cast products
- Experience in Pump repair, maintenance and manufacturing
- Has worked with and for OEM Pump manufacturing companies
- The equivalent or similar experience to the above preferred
7. Application Guidelines
a) Technical proposal:
Applicants should develop one technical proposal per initiative (no more than 5 pages, plus CVs of no more than 2 pages each) comprising:
- A statement of your understanding of the assignment;
- A summary of past relevant experience (citing specific assignments) and the particular aptitudes of the proposed consultant relevant to the sector; and
- Up-to-date CVs of the proposed individual and a signed statement of availability.
b) Financial proposal:
We invite financial proposals with a combination of daily inputs (i.e. daily fees) and results-based payments. The anticipated structure would be as per milestone schedule. Applicants should develop one financial proposal comprising:
- A table showing the named individuals and positions, daily fee rates, number of days of inputs and total costs; and
- A table showing the proposed monthly billing schedule, identifying the proportions of the total fees budget payable on 1) inputs basis, and 2) deliverables.
- Please note that the financial proposal should be for management fees and expenses only.
c) Submission Deadline
Please submit all required application documents (technical & financial proposals) to [email protected] by 20 September 2019